How to Help Stop Child Abuse and Neglect
- If a child tells you that he or she has been hurt or you are concerned that a child may be the victim of any type of abuse or neglect, you must call the Division for Children, Youth and Families (DCYF).
- NH Statute requires any person with reason to suspect a child under age 18 has been abused or neglected must report that suspicion immediately to DCYF.
- If you have reason to suspect a child has been abused or neglected, contact DCYF by telephone from 8 :00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Proof of abuse and neglect is not required to make a report.
- Reports of abuse and neglect concerns are confidential and can be anonymous. If you give your name, please know NH Statutes do not allow DCYF to release it to anyone. DCYF will not reveal your name unless you agree or a court orders DCYF to do so. If the family being investigated asks for DCYF records, staff must remove the name of the person who made the report. However, if the case ever goes to court, a judge may request identifying information.
- Call your local police department with urgent child abuse or neglect reports during DCYF non-work hours (between 4:30 PM and 8:00 AM or on weekends and holidays).
When you contact DCYF you'll be asked for some information. You may not have all the answers. Just tell us what you know regarding:
- The name, address, sex, and estimated age of the child and any other children at the home
- The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of the adults who are responsible for the child
- The full nature and extent of the child's injuries, maltreatment, or neglect
- Any information about previous injuries, abuse, maltreatment or neglect
- How great a risk you believe this may be to the child
- How you learned of this situation
- Any action that has been taken to treat or assist the child
- Any other information that could be helpful in determining the cause of the injuries
- A written report may be requested by DCYF within 48 hours.
Sometimes, people are unsure if a situation is abusive. Even if you're in doubt, call. DCYF has extensive experience in child protection. DCYF may find no abuse or neglect has taken place but may still offer assistance to the family.
To report Abuse or Neglect, Call 1-800-894-5533 or (603) 271-6556 (8:00 AM- 4:30PM ~ Monday – Friday). Currently, DCYF contracts with Easter Seals for its after-hours response coverage. The number is: 1-800-685-8772.
This information was obtained from: http://www.dhhs.state.nh.us